Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Anything Less Would Be Uncivilized



I yawn at the prospect of gracing celebrities with my presence. But at times, I look to the gentle authority of social convention, consideration for others, and simple good manners.

That's why I chose to honor mega filmmaker, Richard Linklater's request to visit my house Monday. Why did he want to come you ask? Fine question. He may or may not be interested in passing scores of money from his lucrative account, into mine. I wish I had a more direct answer for you, but I do not.



During his brief, yet time well-spent stay, we discussed business. I do not like talking business, especially with those who have agendas to turn my living space into a giant movie production. But his vernacular was well-seasoned, as if he had made such proposals before.

And then he made his way to my DVD collection, (two of which were films he directed; Dazed and Confused and Slacker). He then followed with a series of comments pertaining to my refined taste in film. All of which were flanked by the fact I knew who he was, and he was flattered. I then invited him to compliment my taste in film, art, and photography.

"Yes, only the best," I said. "Those photos. I took them."

He was so impressed that this information warranted no response, and he paid little attention as the subject matter changed. He became more interested in what I do in life.

Richard Linklater: So JJ, what do you do?

::His production manager interrupts to say he's seen me on TV at News 8.

Me: Yes. He speaks the truth. But anyways ... I used to make a fool of myself on TV. Nothing to write home about.

Richard Linkalter: Interesting.

And I am impressed with my ability to accompany a celebrity and not try to steal their thunder when taking a photograph. Because I have a bad habit of doing so. The picture below is Quentin Tarantino, and note how I'm informing him to look at the camera, as if he's never come across a camera before and was ill-informed on how to react.

No comments: