Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Marinate on This Bitches ...

This is my 2nd blog post in less than 30 mins. but shit, I can get away with it (please refer to the very top of this blog ... Who's dope?).

I just had to share some thoughts on something.

The wimpy Brits behind the song "Yellow" ... you know, Coldplay ... well, I just listened to their new album in its entirety this morning.

And yes, I am fully aware that their target audience might be young women with heavy hearts, but fuck that ... their new album is - dare I say - a trippy bombast of good shit.

Some people might balk at such appropriations but each song carries a unique otherworldly element that finds a natural place in the wide-open sound.

It makes me want to fly. gay? yes.

Correction: It makes me want to crack the spine of some dusty book sitting in the dark and dampened corners of my head and reread it while strumming memories and sturdy melodies backed by universal themes ... because that's what this album is all about.

As the title suggests, it's all about love, war and peace ... and people, I promise this is the ONLY fagelleh post I will ever write, but I appreciate fine art, and this harkens that, and the album's triumph lies in how exciting Coldplay makes the prospect of love, war and peace seem.

Everyone knows I tend to shy away from mass appeal, but listen to the album and tell me you don't like it, and I will take you to Austin's finest eatery (at your expense).

No comments: