Friday, July 11, 2008

Class "C" Celebrity


I will mindfully work to refrain from drowning you in irony when writing this bloggidy blog, but it might prove to be a futile effort.

For starters, lets get this out of the way. When I first was hired as a Web Editor/Reporter at News 8 Austin, I was told by my news manager (in jest?) that I would have to get a nose job before I stepped in front of a TV camera. I responded with the most awkward laughter I've ever managed to squeak out.

I don't have a crooked nose, though if NASA scientists were to study and analyze my facial features under a space telescope, they might feel compelled to write uninspired literature about a peculiar asymmetry that you find on Wall Street, or at municipal political conventions ... a slight crookedness. And that's a reeeeeeeaaaaccchhhh too.

I manage the News 8 Web site. I now am in charge of reporting Web sites of interests on TV. I date online ... totally joking about the last part. 0h yea - and I'm Ron Burgandy?

Everyone knows that my pillow acts as my personal stylist and I rock the casual attire with the ferocity of a rabid wolverine. Don't be misled in thinking I'm not surprisingly clean and nice smelling though, there's more to the rugged exterior than meets the eye.

But yesterday, a TV viewer sent this e-mail: "Who is that guy in the Cubs T-shirt? He looks like he just rolled out of bed."

Thank you, viewer, for stating the obvious. My reply to you:

I cordially invite you to consider this highly lucrative proposal. "Feel free to accept it or send it right back. I want to be on you." - Ron Burgandy.



I've always declined to do this little TV segment for the news, but on this glorious day, I wanted to stick it to the man, so I got in front of the camera with my trademark jagged look and gave my best lifeless zombie of a performance manageable.

I will admit I was more stiff than a petrified rock being told by law enforcement to "FREEZE"... No personality on air and I showcased very little conviction in my future in front of cameras. But the idea was to broadcast my brooding mug across Austin for the sake of saying, "I'm Kind of a big deal."

I was sitting at my desk, when I was welcomed by deafening applause by my colleagues. My performance was well received by laughs. A string of explanations failed to quell the abominable on-air presence I portrayed. But it felt good, minus the ring of sweat I produced under my arms during the one-take shoot.

Looking for a brief laugh? ... DISCLAIMER: I laugh at myself with ease, and so should you. BUT, this posting does not in any way shape or form discount my heroic ability to be dope on a consistent basis.

Here you go. Enjoy it.

----> JJ's 15 seconds of fame (shame?)

1 comment:

Lundy said...

hahhahahaha. Wow. That had absolutely zero of your personality in it. Surprising, as you are quite flamboyant I would think you could have a successful career in front of the camera. Don't give up yet.